Tuesday, January 6, 2009

If the Patch Ever Lands, What's a Dwarf to Do?

So, I'm wondering what I am going to do with my hunter when the patch lands. I can't imagine that I'm the only person facing this decision, so here's my take on the whole situation.

First of all, we all know steady shot is being nerfed. That's gonna hit all three specs to some degree or another, (with marksman being hit the least). In addition, they're toning down a lot of the beast mastery talents that directly buffed pet damage. They're also buffing explosive shot, which is the survival 51 point talent, and fixing a few marksman-related bugs that were keeping the steady shot glyph from working properly.

What this all rounded out to, before yesterday afternoon, was that Survival was going to be the new king of the mountain, with Marksman coming in a solid second, and Beast Mastery pulling up the rear. I'd resigned myself to speccing survival, regemming all my gear, reenchanting a few pieces, and continuing on with life. Until yesterday.

What happened yesterday? Ghostcrawler came around to throw a monkey wrench in all of my best-laid plans. He talked about a few things, the most interesting being that explosive shot was probably doing too much damage and that they'd likely reign it in a bit. He also mentioned that all the specs should be doing "about the same amount of damage". Which leads neatly to my dilemma.

So, now I have 3 choices:

Stay Beast Mastery, respec to something approaching 53/some/5 or 7, and see if You and I can wreak some havoc as the underdog spec. The lazy woman in me says "omg, yes!" BM is probably the easiest spec to command, although it'll become a bit more complex with the addition of arcane shot to the mix. The downside is watching my DPS plummet on fights wehre my pet is ignored (Thaddius, Loatheb), or abused all out of proportion with her ability to survive (KT fissures, Sartharion). Also, theorycrafting puts BM as the lowest performing spec, post-patch, even with survival being toned down.

Respec to Marksman, and become a chimera-flinging foo. This is attractive mostly because it means I could dodge the re-gem/'chant bullet, and keep the gear I'm currently wearing. With the exception of a few pieces, the best in slot gear is the same for any spec, so nothing I have will really be wasted, although I may end up looking for a different piece or two. The downside here is two-fold. First of all, I'm not really that fond of the chimera-shot mechanic. It has the potential to be neat, and maybe I just need for it to grow on me, but I kind of see it as more annoying than anything else. Secondly, when I've specced MM previously, I've had trouble controlling my aggro. BM is nice, because since your damage is split, so is your threat. Marks and Survival shift the damage and threat much more heavily onto the hunter herself. (Mostly this boils down to, suck less, noob!)

Respec to Survival like I was planning originally. This has the advantage of providing some raid utility in the form of replenishment, so that we aren't forced into a 2-ret-pallies required raid composition. Also, it's solidly in the lead, currently for DPS, but we've already established that might not be the case for much longer. Downside of survival is also two-fold. First of all, to eke every bit of DPS out of the spec, you need to do something called trap-dancing. The basic concept is that every survival hunter has Lock and Load, which is 2 free explosive shots with no cooldown associated with them. This talent procs whenever one of your traps is triggered, or rarely when Serpent sting is (applied/ticks? not sure which). The trick is to stand at min range, take a step forward, drop a trap, take a step back, and use your forced Lock and Load proc every trap cooldown. This, to me, seems like it was not an intended mechanic, and also a huge PITA! The second issue also has to do with LnL. Basically... it's annoying. It ensures that your regular rotation may be disturbed at any point in time.

So, internets, what do you think? Right now I'm leaning towards going Survival for awhile, since my raid-leader was pretty excited about more replenishes, but the thought of re-gemming & 'chanting my gear makes me very unhappy, and I outright refuse to dance at min-range to get more LnL procs. I LIKE Beast Mastery, but I like topping DPS charts more, so I think that is probably out, especially when you consider the problem where BM is awesome in some places but falls on it's face in others. Marksman is somewhat annoying, and its rotation grows more complex than ever with the patch, so even though there's the bonus of not regemming, I'm not convinced it would be a performance upgrade to spec it, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment